Thursday, October 21, 2010

time keeps on slippin, slippin

It's been quite awhile since I've updated this thing. Typically I get on here to read other people's blog entries, and don't really post much on my own.

The theme of this year has been change. Almost every aspect of my life has had some sort of significant change over the past couple months. Where to begin...

Lets start with the fun stuff. My band, Third Coast Renegades, started playing shows in February. This has been an incredible experience for me, as it's something I've always wanted to do since I started playing guitar. When we first started playing out, I was nervous as hell and I'm sure we sounded like shit. We've played 6 shows thus far this year (with 5-6 left before the year's over!), and I've certainly come a long way in that time. I'm still nervous right when I get up on stage, but that nervousness fades away much quicker than before and allows me to get into the zone of just playing. I'm actually starting to PERFORM. This has helped me in other aspects of my life as well, particularly when giving presentations at work and doing various public speaking. I hope the rest of our shows this year rock hard, and things continue to progress musically into next year. Be on the lookout for our first CD in 2011...

Back in January, I moved to a new position within my company. I'm now the Product Support Engineer for Systems Software. This is still a support role, but it's less speaking with customers every day and more consulting my previous department and other people in the company when they have issues with our products. I think this position is great for what I want to do in my career, which is management. In fact, I just recently started managing the next release of one of our pieces of software. If all goes well, I'll start doing project management full-time. I'm much more comfortable in this role than I was in my previous one, which is great.

The biggest change, though, involved my personal life. I won't go into great detail, as those who would read this already know what I'm talking about. Since then, I've been in a period of self-reflection, thinking about who I really am and who I want to be. It's been a very eye-opening experience, and I think I'm much more honest with myself because of it. I've made a new group of friends from work, changed many aspects of my daily routine, and am trying to get the most out of life. Life's too short not to live it how you want to.

Well, guess that satisfies my 1 post per year quota. See you in 2011!!

No comments: